Thursday, June 18, 2009

Tightwad Tips


Everyone seems to be tightening down on the cash flow these days, either out of sheer need, or out of a desire to save some money in these troubling time.

My friends and I have spent hours sharing tips of saving money galore, so this is not new to many of my readers. Don't even get me started on the many uses of baking soda, vinegar and washing soda.

I know that most of my readers already make their own laundry soap, dishwasher soap, baby foods, cloth diapers and covers or wool soakers. Most of us already grow gardens, can foods, cook only from scratch, bake our own breads and buy in bulk. Good for you!

I can't even begin to share more with you than you shared with me. I did find one little money saver recently. As they say, "necessity is the mother of invention"

I found myself out of brown sugar one day while doing some baking. Not wanting to drag 7 children to the store for brown sugar...I decided to make some.

I mixed 1 cup of white sugar with about 2 tablespoons of molasses in my food processor. I use a really good, un-sulfured molasses so the color was really dark brown. It smells wonderful and I am able to use much less (since I use that great molasses) Check out the differences between molasses sometime when you are bored.

I figure that I saved about half the cost doing it this way, based on the sale prices this week.


Another tip I have is for carrots. When we do not have a garden full of them, I buy the 25# bags at the local supermarket for around $7 (less than .30 cents a pound)

That is an amazing price. You have to use them up fast or they will go bad, which is no trouble for your average family of 9!
We juice them almost everyday and use them in salads, breads, muffins, meals and for snacks. The kids love carrots!

Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment